Wednesday, October 1, 2014

when you dont feel like painting

What do you do when you just don't feel like painting? I don't know about you, but I just don't. I used to feel guilty and think, 'man, this is your job, you gotta work'. But as I've been doing this eight years now fulltime, I've learned to listen to what my body, mind, and creative spirit are trying to tell me. Thus the lack of posts here on my blog.

The trip to Maine and Cape Cod seemed like a grueling pace, with a lot of pressure to perform and I think that's the reason for the burnout I experienced when I got back to NC, a few weeks ago. It's been a crazy paced year and I was running on fumes!
So I just worked on my steel drum music and did email stuff, lining up next years workshops. And what about the guilt about not painting. Too satisfied with the knowledge that when I get the itch to paint again, (and I can feel it coming) I'll be rested and happy to create again. Thankfully, guilt doesn't factor into the equation any more.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mike, great post! I had a wise physician tell me once, that no matter how much you love what you do, you cannot do it 24/7 ! In order to be on top of your game, there has to be time for your mind and your spirit to rest.. Enjoy your time off,, and I look forward to more exciting paintings and postings Wayne

Marcela Strasdas said...

You did do stuff for your art though, you said you lined up next year's workshops and all that admin work counts too :) Glad you don't feel guilty anymore.